(click for a larger image)
top: spherical aberration
bottom: chromatic aberration
ab·er·ra·tion (b-rshn) KEY
- A deviation from the proper or expected course. See Synonyms at deviation.
- A departure from the normal or typical: events that were aberrations from the norm.
- Psychology A disorder or abnormal alteration in one's mental state.
- A defect of focus, such as blurring in an image.
- An imperfect image caused by a physical defect in an optical element, as in a lens.
- The apparent displacement of the position of a celestial body in the direction of motion of an observer on Earth, caused by the motion of Earth and the finite velocity of light.
- Genetics A deviation in the normal structure or number of chromosomes in an organism.
Latin aberrti, aberrtin-, diversion, from aberrtus, past participle of aberrre, to go astray : ab-, away from ; see ab-1 + errre, to stray; see ers- in Indo-European roots