) KEY NOUN:
- A violent physical or verbal attack.
- A military attack, such as one launched against a fortified area or place.
- The concluding stage of an attack in which close combat occurs with the enemy.
- An unlawful threat or attempt to do bodily injury to another.
- The act or an instance of unlawfully threatening or attempting to injure another.
- Law Sexual assault.
- The crime of rape.
, as·saults VERB: tr.
- To make an assault upon; attack. See Synonyms at attack.
- To rape.
- To make an assault.
Middle English assaut
, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *assaltus
, variant of Latin assultus
, from past participle of assilre
, to jump on
; see assailOTHER FORMS:as·saulter(Noun)