z) KEY VERB: chose
, choos·es VERB: tr.
- To select from a number of possible alternatives; decide on and pick out.
- To prefer above others: chooses the supermarket over the neighborhood grocery store.
- To determine or decide: chose to fly rather than drive.
PHRASAL VERB: choose up
- To make a choice; make a selection: was used to doing as she chose.
IDIOM: cannot choose but
- To choose players and form sides or teams for a game, such as baseball or softball.
- Can only do; cannot do otherwise: We cannot choose but to observe the rules.
Middle English chesen
, from Old English cosan
; see geus-
in Indo-European rootsOTHER FORMS:chooser(Noun)