) KEY NOUN:
- An expression of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.
- A cause or reason for complaining; a grievance.
- A bodily disorder or disease; a malady or ailment.
- The symptom or distress about which a patient seeks medical assistance.
- The presentation by the plaintiff in a civil action, setting forth the claim on which relief is sought.
- A formal charge, made under oath, of the commission of a crime or other such offense.
Middle English compleinte
, from Old French complainte
, from feminine past participle of complaindre
, to complain
; see complain