nt) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Serving as part of a whole; component: a constituent element.
- Empowered to elect or designate.
- Authorized to make or amend a constitution: a constituent assembly.
- A constituent part; a component. See Synonyms at element.
- A resident of a district or member of a group represented by an elected official.
- One that authorizes another to act as a representative; a client.
- Grammar A functional unit of a grammatical construction, as a verb, noun phrase, or clause.
Latin cnstituns, cnstituent-
present participle of cnstituere
, to set up
; see constitute
. N., from French from Latin cnstituns
, from present participle of cnstituereOTHER FORMS:con·stitu·ent·ly(Adverb)