t) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Precisely limited or defined; definite: a determinate number; a determinate distance.
- Conclusively settled; final.
- Firm in purpose; resolute.
- Terminating in a flower and blooming in a sequence beginning with the uppermost or central flower; cymose: a determinate inflorescence.
- Not continuing indefinitely at the tip of an axis: determinate growth.
Middle English, from Latin dtermintus
, past participle of dterminre
, to determine
; see determineOTHER FORMS:de·termi·nate·ly(Adverb)