) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Having bounds; limited: a finite list of choices; our finite fossil fuel reserves.
- Existing, persisting, or enduring for a limited time only; impermanent.
- Being neither infinite nor infinitesimal.
- Having a positive or negative numerical value; not zero.
- Possible to reach or exceed by counting. Used of a number.
- Having a limited number of elements. Used of a set.
- Grammar Of or relating to any of the forms of a verb that can occur on their own in a main clause and that can formally express distinctions in person, number, tense, mood, and voice, often by means of conjugation, as the verb sees in She sees the sign.
- A finite thing.
Middle English finit
, from Latin fntus
, past participle of fnre
, to limit
, from fnis
, endOTHER FORMS:finitely(Adverb)