v) KEY NOUN:
- The power or ability to begin or to follow through energetically with a plan or task; enterprise and determination.
- A beginning or introductory step; an opening move: took the initiative in trying to solve the problem.
- The power or right to introduce a new legislative measure.
- The right and procedure by which citizens can propose a law by petition and ensure its submission to the electorate.
IDIOM: on (one's) own initiative
- Of or relating to initiation.
- Used to initiate; initiatory.
- Without prompting or direction from others; on one's own.