n) KEY NOUN:
- The act or an instance of inscribing.
- Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
- Something, such as a stone or metal tablet, that is inscribed.
- An enrollment or a registration of names.
- A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
- The usually informal dedication of a book or an artistic work.
Middle English inscripcioun
, statement giving the author or title of a book
, from Latin nscrpti, nscrptin-
, from nscrptus
, past participle of nscrbere
, to inscribe
; see inscribeOTHER FORMS:in·scription·al