t) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Lying or occurring between two extremes or in a middle position or state: an aircraft having an intermediate range; an intermediate school.
- One that is in a middle position or state.
- An intermediary.
- Chemistry A substance formed as a necessary stage in the manufacture of a desired end product.
- An automobile that is smaller than a full-sized model but larger than a compact.
- To act as an intermediary; mediate.
- To intervene.
Middle English, from Medieval Latin intermeditus
, from Late Latin intermedius
: Latin inter-
+ Latin medius
; see medhyo-
in Indo-European rootsOTHER FORMS:inter·medi·a·cy(Noun)