n) KEY VERB: leaned
, leans VERB: intr.
- To bend or slant away from the vertical.
- To incline the weight of the body so as to be supported: leaning against the railing. See Synonyms at slant.
- To rely for assistance or support: Lean on me for help.
- To have a tendency or preference: a government that leans toward fascism.
- Informal To exert pressure: The boss is leaning on us to meet the deadline.
- To set or place so as to be resting or supported.
- To cause to incline.
- A tilt or an inclination away from the vertical.
Middle English lenen
, from Old English hleonian
; see klei-
in Indo-European roots