n) KEY NOUN:
- The process, act, or faculty of perceiving.
- The effect or product of perceiving.
- Recognition and interpretation of sensory stimuli based chiefly on memory.
- The neurological processes by which such recognition and interpretation are effected.
- Insight, intuition, or knowledge gained by perceiving.
- The capacity for such insight.
Middle English percepcioun
, from Old French percepcion
, from Latin percepti, perceptin-
, from perceptus
, past participle of percipere
, to perceive
; see perceiveOTHER FORMS:per·ception·al(Adjective)