) KEY NOUN:
- A leisurely walk, especially one taken in a public place as a social activity.
- A public place for such walking.
- A formal dance; a ball.
- A march of all the guests at the opening of a ball.
- A square-dance figure in which couples march counterclockwise in a circle.
, prom·e·nades VERB: intr.
- To go on a leisurely walk.
- To execute a promenade at a ball or in square dancing.
- To take a promenade along or through.
- To take or display on or as if on a promenade.
French, from promener
, to take for a walk
, from Latin prminre
, to drive forward
; see pro-1
, to drive with shouts
, to threaten
, from minae
; see men-2
in Indo-European roots)OTHER FORMS:prome·nader(Noun)