n) KEY NOUN:
IDIOM: get religion Informal
- Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
- A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
- The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
- A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
- A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
- To become religious or devout.
- To resolve to end one's immoral behavior.
Middle English religioun
, from Old French religion
, from Latin religi, religin-
, perhaps from religre
, to tie fast
; see rely