ngk) KEY VERB: shrank
, shrinks VERB: intr.
- To become constricted from heat, moisture, or cold.
- To become reduced in amount or value; dwindle: His savings quickly shrank.
- To draw back instinctively, as from something alarming; recoil.
- To show reluctance; hesitate: shrink from making such a sacrifice.
- To cause to shrink.
- The act of shrinking.
- The degree to which something shrinks; shrinkage.
- Slang A psychotherapist.
Middle English shrinken
, to wither, shrivel up
, from Old English scrincan
; see sker-2
in Indo-European rootsOTHER FORMS:shrinka·ble(Adjective)