l) KEY VERB: strug·gled
, strug·gles VERB: intr.
- To exert muscular energy, as against a material force or mass: struggled with the heavy load.
- To be strenuously engaged with a problem, task, or undertaking: struggled with his math homework.
- To make a strenuous effort; strive: struggled to be polite.
- To contend or compete: "Right and wrong ... will ever continue to struggle" (Abraham Lincoln).
- To progress with difficulty: struggled through the novel.
- To move or place (something) with an effort: struggled the heavy desk into the elevator.
- The act of struggling.
- Strenuous effort; striving.
- Combat; strife: armed struggle.
Middle English struglenOTHER FORMS:struggler(Noun)