k) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Relating to, involving, or of the nature of synthesis.
- Chemistry Produced by synthesis, especially not of natural origin.
- Not natural or genuine; artificial or contrived: "counterfeit rhetoric that flourishes when passions are synthetic" (George F. Will).
- Prepared or made artificially: synthetic leather. See Synonyms at artificial.
- Linguistics Relating to or being a language, such as Latin or Russian, that uses inflectional affixes to express syntactic relationships.
- Logic & Philosophy Relating to or being a proposition that attributes to a subject a predicate not inherent in the subject and that does not result in a contradiction if negated.
- A synthetic chemical compound or material.
, skilled in putting together, component
, from sunthetos
, from suntithenai
, to put together
; see synthesisOTHER FORMS:syn·theti·cal·ly(Adverb)