) KEY NOUN: pl. tur·keys
IDIOM: talk turkey Informal
- A large North American bird (Meleagris gallopavo) that has brownish plumage and a bare wattled head and neck and is widely domesticated for food.
- A related bird (Agriocharis ocellata) of Mexico and Central America, brilliantly colored and having eyelike spots on its tail.
- A person considered inept or undesirable.
- A failure, especially a failed theatrical production or movie.
- Sports Three consecutive strikes in bowling.
- To speak frankly and get down to the basic facts of a matter.
, from a confusion with the guinea fowl, once believed to have originated in Turkish territory