n) KEY NOUN:
- A wicked or evil person; a scoundrel.
- A dramatic or fictional character who is typically at odds with the hero.
- (also vln, v-ln) Variant of villein.
- Something said to be the cause of particular trouble or an evil: poverty, the villain in the increase of crime.
- Obsolete A peasant regarded as vile and brutish.
Middle English vilein
, feudal serf, person of coarse feelings
, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *vllnus
, feudal serf
, from Latin vlla
, country house
; see weik-1
in Indo-European roots