r) KEY NOUN:
IDIOMS: clear waivers
- Intentional relinquishment of a right, claim, or privilege.
- The document that evidences such relinquishment.
- A dispensation, as from a rule or penalty.
- Permission for a professional athletic club to assign a player to the minor leagues or release a player from the club, granted only after all other clubs have been given the opportunity to claim the player and have not done so.
- A deferment.
- To be unclaimed by another professional club and therefore liable to be assigned to a minor-league club or released.
- In a state of being available for claiming by other professional clubs.
, from weyver
, to abandon
; see waive