nt) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Of great age; very old.
- Of or relating to times long past, especially those of the historical period before the fall of the Western Roman Empire (a.d. 476). See Synonyms at old.
- Old-fashioned; antiquated.
- Having the qualities associated with age, wisdom, or long use; venerable.
- A very old person.
- A person who lived in times long past.
- The peoples of the classical nations of antiquity.
- The ancient Greek and Roman authors.
Middle English auncien
, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *antenus
: Latin ante
; see ant-
in Indo-European roots + -nus
, adj. and n. suffOTHER FORMS:ancient·ly(Adverb)