) KEY NOUN:
- A ballet position in which the dancer bends forward while standing on one straight leg with the arm extended forward and the other arm and leg extended backward.
- A complex, ornate design of intertwined floral, foliate, and geometric figures.
- Music An ornate, whimsical composition especially for piano.
- An intricate or elaborate pattern or design: "the fluctuating shapes of a cloudscape, the complex arabesque of a camera movement, the blink of a character's eye" (Nigel Andrews).
- In the fashion of or formed as an arabesque.
French, from Italian arabesco
, in Arabian fashion
, from Arabo
, an Arab
, from Latin Arabus
, from Arabs
; see Arab