) KEY TRANSITIVE VERB: em·ployed
- To engage the services of; put to work: agreed to employ the job applicant.
- To provide with gainful work: factories that employ thousands.
- To put to use or service. See Synonyms at use.
- To devote (time, for example) to an activity or purpose: employed several months in learning Swahili.
- The state of being employed: in the employ of the city.
- Archaic Occupation.
Middle English emploien
, from Old French emploier
, from Latin implicre
, to involve
; see en-1
, to fold
; see plek-
in Indo-European rootsOTHER FORMS:em·ploya·bili·ty(Noun)