l) KEY NOUN:
- often Gospel The proclamation of the redemption preached by Jesus and the Apostles, which is the central content of Christian revelation.
- Gospel Bible One of the first four New Testament books, describing the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and recording his teaching.
- A similar narrative.
- often Gospel A lection from any of the first four New Testament books included as part of a religious service.
- A teaching or doctrine of a religious teacher.
- Music Gospel music.
- Something, such as an idea or principle, accepted as unquestionably true: My parents' rules were gospel.
- Of or in accordance with the Gospel; evangelical.
- Of or relating to gospel music.
Middle English, from Old English gdspel
(ultimately translation of Greek euangelion
) : gd
; see good