l) KEY NOUN:
- Precipitation in the form of spherical or irregular pellets of ice larger than 5 millimeters (0.2 inches) in diameter.
- Something that falls with the force and quantity of a shower of ice and hard snow: a hail of pebbles; a hail of criticism.
, hails VERB: intr.
- To precipitate in pellets of ice and hard snow.
- To fall like hailstones: Condemnations hailed down on them.
- To pour (something) down or forth: They hailed insults at me.
Middle English, from Old English hægel, hagol