nt) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Having no particular interest or concern; apathetic: indifferent to the sufferings of others.
- Having no marked feeling for or against: She remained indifferent toward their proposal.
- Not mattering one way or the other: It's indifferent to me which outfit you choose.
- Characterized by a lack of partiality; unbiased: an indifferent judge.
- Being neither too much nor too little; moderate.
- Being neither good nor bad; mediocre: an indifferent performance. See Synonyms at average.
- Being neither right nor wrong.
- Not active or involved; neutral: an indifferent chemical in a reaction.
- Biology Undifferentiated, as cells or tissue.
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin indifferns, indifferent-
; see in-1
; see differentOTHER FORMS:in·differ·ent·ly(Adverb)