l) KEY ADJECTIVE:
- Of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first: took the initial step toward peace.
- Designating the first letter or letters of a word.
TRANSITIVE VERB: in·i·tialed
- The first letter of a proper name.
- initials The first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit: stationery monogrammed with her initials.
- The first letter of a word.
- A large, often highly decorated letter set at the beginning of a chapter, verse, or paragraph.
, also in·i·tialled in·i·tial·ing
, in·i·tial·ling in·i·tials
- To mark or sign with initials, especially for purposes of authorization or approval.
, from initium
; see ei-
in Indo-European rootsOTHER FORMS:in·itial·ly(Adverb)