-) KEY NOUN:
- An instance or a means of communication between different groups or units of an organization, especially in the armed forces.
- One that maintains communication: served as the President's liaison with Congress.
- A close relationship, connection, or link.
- An adulterous relationship; an affair.
- Linguistics Pronunciation of the usually silent final consonant of a word when followed by a word beginning with a vowel, especially in French.
French, from Old French, from Latin ligti, ligtin-
, from ligtus
, past participle of ligre
, to bind
; see ligate