n) KEY NOUN:
- A member of any of the nine ranks of high public officials in the Chinese Empire.
- A high government official or bureaucrat.
- A member of an elite group, especially a person having influence or high status in intellectual or cultural circles.
- Mandarin The official national standard spoken language of China, which is based on the principal dialect spoken in and around Beijing.
- A mandarin orange.
- Of, relating to, or resembling a mandarin.
- Marked by elaborate and refined language or literary style.
From Spanish mandarín
, from Portuguese mandarim
, from Malay menteri
, from Sanskrit mantr, mantrin-
, from mantra
; see men-1
in Indo-European roots