r) KEY NOUN:
TRANSITIVE VERB: mar·tyred
- One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.
- One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.
- One who endures great suffering: a martyr to arthritis.
- One who makes a great show of suffering in order to arouse sympathy.
- To make a martyr of, especially to put to death for devotion to religious beliefs.
- To inflict great pain on; torment.
Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin, from Late Greek martur
, from Greek martus, martur-