r) KEY NOUN:
- An imaginary or legendary creature, such as a centaur or Harpy, that combines parts from various animal or human forms.
- A creature having a strange or frightening appearance.
- An animal, a plant, or other organism having structural defects or deformities.
- Pathology A fetus or an infant that is grotesquely abnormal and usually not viable.
- A very large animal, plant, or object.
- One who inspires horror or disgust: a monster of selfishness.
- Informal Extremely large; monstrous: a monster hit at the box office; ate a monster steak.
Middle English monstre
, from Old French, from Latin mnstrum
, portent, monster
, from monre
, to warn
; see men-1
in Indo-European roots