-) KEY NOUN:
- One who begets, gives birth to, or nurtures and raises a child; a father or mother.
- An ancestor; a progenitor.
- An organism that produces or generates offspring.
- A guardian; a protector.
- A parent company.
- A source or cause; an origin: Despair is the parent of rebellion.
, par·ents VERB: tr.
- To act as a parent to; raise and nurture: "A genitor who does not parent the child is not its parent" (Ashley Montagu).
- To cause to come into existence; originate.
- To act as a parent.
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin parns, parent-
from past active participle of parere
, to give birth
; see per-1
in Indo-European rootsOTHER FORMS:parent·hood(Noun)