) KEY NOUN: pl. pen·nies
IDIOM: pretty penny
- A unit of currency in Ireland and the United Kingdom. See Table at currency.
- In the United States and Canada, the coin that is worth one cent.
pl. pence (pns) KEY
Abbr. p. A coin used in Great Britain since 1971, worth 1/100 of a pound.
Abbr. d. A coin formerly used in Great Britain, worth 1/12 of a shilling or 1/240 of a pound.
- Any of various coins of small denomination.
- A sum of money.
- One of a set of colored, usually sleeveless shirts worn as a temporary team uniform, as when scrimmaging.
- A considerable sum of money: I paid a pretty penny for that ring.
Middle English, an English coin
, from Old English penig