) KEY ADJECTIVE:
NOUN: pl. pre·lim·i·nar·ies
- Prior to or preparing for the main matter, action, or business; introductory or prefatory.
- Something that precedes, prepares for, or introduces the main matter, action, or business.
- An academic test or examination that is preparatory to one that is longer, more complex, or more important.
- Sports A contest to determine the finalists in a competition.
- Sports An event that precedes the main event of a particular program, especially in boxing or wrestling.
- Printing The front matter of a book. Often used in the plural.
From New Latin praelminris
: Latin prae-
+ Latin lmen, lmin-
, thresholdOTHER FORMS:pre·limi·nari·ly
) KEY (Adverb)SYNONYMS: preliminary, introductory, prefatory, preparatory
These adjectives mean going before and preparing the way for something else: a preliminary investigation; introductory remarks; an author's prefatory notes; preparatory steps.