nt) KEY NOUN:
- A moment or period in time perceptible as intermediate between past and future; now.
- The present tense.
- A verb form in the present tense.
- presents Law The document or instrument in question: Be it known by these presents.
IDIOMS: at present
- Existing or happening now; current: the present leader; present trends.
- Being at hand or in attendance: Thirty guests were present at the ceremony.
- Existing in something specified: Oxygen is present in the bloodstream.
- Now being considered; actually here or involved: the present subject; present company excepted.
- Grammar Designating a verb tense or form that expresses current time.
- Archaic Readily available; immediate.
- Obsolete Alert to circumstances; attentive.
for the present
- At the present time; right now.
- For the time being; temporarily.
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin praesns, praesent-
present participle of praeesse
, to be present
, to be
; see es-
in Indo-European rootsOTHER FORMS:present·ness(Noun)