) KEY VERB: re·cruit·ed
, re·cruits VERB: tr.
- To engage (persons) for military service.
- To strengthen or raise (an armed force) by enlistment.
- To supply with new members or employees.
- To enroll or seek to enroll: colleges recruiting minority students.
- To replenish.
- To renew or restore the health, vitality, or intensity of.
- To raise a military force.
- To obtain replacements for or new supplies of something lost, wasted, or needed.
- To regain lost health or strength; recover.
- A newly engaged member of a military force, especially one of the lowest rank or grade.
- A new member of an organization or body.
, from obsolete recrute
, variant of recrue
, from feminine past participle of recroître
, to grow again
, from Old French recroistre
, to grow
(from Latin crscere
; see ker-2
in Indo-European roots)OTHER FORMS:re·cruiter(Noun)