ns) KEY NOUN:
- The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
- Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
- Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.
- Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.
- An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.
- Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
- Science Christian Science.
Middle English, knowledge, learning
, from Old French, from Latin scientia
, from scins, scient-
present participle of scre
, to know
; see skei-
in Indo-European roots