(smîr) KEY VERB: smeared
, smears VERB: tr.
- To spread or daub with a sticky, greasy, or dirty substance.
- To apply by spreading or daubing: smeared suntan lotion on my face and arms.
- To stain by or as if by spreading or daubing with a sticky, greasy, or dirty substance.
- To stain or attempt to destroy the reputation of; vilify: political enemies who smeared his name.
- Slang To defeat utterly; smash.
- To be or become stained or dirtied.
- A mark made by smearing; a spot or blot.
- A substance to be spread on a surface.
- Biology A sample, as of blood or bacterial cells, spread on a slide for microscopic examination or on the surface of a culture medium.
- Vilification or slander.
- A vilifying or slanderous remark.
Middle English smeren
, to anoint
, from Old English smerian