) KEY NOUN:
- The study of the rules whereby words or other elements of sentence structure are combined to form grammatical sentences.
- A publication, such as a book, that presents such rules.
- The pattern of formation of sentences or phrases in a language.
- Such a pattern in a particular sentence or discourse.
- Computer Science The rules governing the formation of statements in a programming language.
- A systematic, orderly arrangement.
, from Late Latin syntaxis
, from Greek suntaxis
, from suntassein
, to put in order
+ tassein, tag-
, to arrange